We have some amazing news! Our operating system, pi-topOS Polaris, is now built on the new and exciting latest release of Raspbian/Debian "Stretch". This new version is available for download from our website and comes with some nice improvements and changes. Keep reading this blog post to know all about it!
What has changed?
When you upgrade to pi-topOS “Stretch”, you will have access to the latest versions of pi-topCODER and Scratch. You’ll also benefit from some great new features and improvements:
- Moved from Raspbian Jessie (version 8) to Raspbian Stretch (version 9). This brings some significant changes to the way the operating system works. You’ll notice that it runs smoother and faster
- The new pi-topOS update allows you to use the latest hardware, such as the Raspberry Pi Model 3 B+ out of the box
- pi-topCODER now includes project self-assessment dialogue and project instructions glossary
- Personalise your pi-topDASHBOARD with the new wallpapers. Pretty cool, huh?
If you’d like to have a look at the technical details, check the ‘changelog’.
How to update your pi-top device
If you are currently using a version of pi-topOS released prior to 2018-04-03, then you are on the older "Jessie" version of Raspbian/Debian. Here’s how to update it:
- Download an image of the latest (Stretch) release of pi-topOS from our website
- We recommend you use Etcher by Resin.io to install the OS. Detailed instructions on how to do this can be found here
- Insert your microSD card into your Raspberry Pi once you’ve flashed it with pi-topOS. You’re ready to go!
Be aware that when you do this, you will lose ALL data/work currently stored on the SD Card, and it will be replaced with a clean install of pi-topOS.
As always, if you have any trouble downloading pi-topOS or if you need any help, please get in touch with us at email@example.com.